Who we are:
The Lighthouse is a joint innovation lab between IDEO and Orbia that develops scalable solutions for systemic global challenges — from food and water security to building sustainable infrastructure.
You’ll join a small and growing team of designers, leading teams and project sponsors through the research process to develop thoughtful and inspiring insights.
Why is this role important?
You’ll bring to life the voice of the user and connect design teams and project sponsors to the human experiences and needs that underlie Orbia’s new ventures (product and service offerings). Working as part of interdisciplinary teams, you will bring your depth of knowledge across a wide range of research approaches, including generative, rapid and nimble iterative loops of prototyping, user feedback, and qualitative and quantitative studies, all to drive human-centered innovation at Orbia.
Once here you will:
- Develop a unique point of view about the ways human-centered research can help uncover and prioritize design needs for food, water, shelter, information, and materials
- Lead teams through bespoke research plans, owning the plan and associated logistics and ensuring that every member of the team contributes and collectively produces research findings that will inform and inspire strategic decisions and design solutions
- Conduct qualitative research, writing discussion guides, conducting expert interviews, using ethnographic research methods, and making analogous connections to design challenges that inspire new thinking
- Turn insights into strategic design opportunities and collaborate with teammates to create innovative products, services, spaces, interactions and experiences
- Create inspiring ways to tell stories from research throughout the design process
Relevant experience and mindset:
- 3-5+ years of qualitative design research experience at an innovation lab, design consultancy, or in a qualitative product/consumer insights capacity
- Master’s degree in Anthropology, Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Design, Journalism, Data Science, or equivalent work experience
- Extensive experience with a variety of design research methods and tools such as: analogous inspiration, expert interviews, ethnographic interviews, extreme user research, participatory sessions, prototype feedback, live prototyping, trend research, audio/visual recording, distance research (eg. dscout), journalistic storytelling (prose, photography, video)
- Experience in incorporating quantitative research is a plus, running surveys, segmentation studies, and analyzing public data sets, bringing all forms of research together into a compelling human narrative (e.g. https://ncase.me/polygons/)
- You're passionate about sustainability and solving climate change and eager to shape and lead strategic projects in a human-centered way
- Be confident and flexible as a member and leader of interdisciplinary teams where harmonious collaboration is imperative; your sweet spot is the intersection of human needs and business impact
- You’re eager to continue pushing human-centricity throughout the development and scaling stages of a product or service
IDEO is a global design and innovation company focused on creating positive impact through design. We take a human-centered, design-led approach to helping organizations in the public and private sectors innovate and grow.